How to become foster parents
Foster family – this is a family where the parents or individuals (foster parents) perform duties on education of children under foster family approved by the government, on the basis of the contract on transfer of a child to a family for rearing and employment contract.
The foster family as a form of placement of children without parental care is formed on the base 2 contracts:
1) of the Treaty on the transfer of the child (children) in the care of a family
2) employment contract
Both contracts are concluded between the tutorship and guardianship agencies and prospective adoptive parents. The foster family is transferred to the child (children) under the age of majority. The minimum age is not set by law, but the period of education of children in foster care must be provided in the contract is one of the obligatory conditions of the contract.
Who can be foster parents?
The adoptive parents (parent) can be adult persons of both sexes, except:
– persons recognized by court as incapable or partially capable;
– persons deprived of parental rights by the court or restricted parental rights;
– suspended from the duties of the Trustee (Trustee) for the improper performance of assigned duties;
– former adopters, if the adoption was cancelled by the court through their own fault;
– persons with illness, if you cannot take the child (Ren) in a foster family (including disability groups I and II).
Preference is given to families or single persons who have experience raising children, or relatives of these children.
What children are sent to a foster family?
Foster families are transferred to children-orphans, children left without parental care, including children in children’s residential institutions, public institutions for minors in need of social assistance and rehabilitation, public institutions providing vocational, secondary special and higher education.
It is important to note that the creation of foster families, the principle of territoriality, i.e. transferred to a foster family, children in children’s residential institutions within the territory under specific management (Department) of education.
Children with special needs, children with disabilities are sent to a foster family with the consent of the adoptive parents and only when there is a family of necessary conditions.
The transfer of the child in foster care by taking into account his opinion.
The adoptive family of a child under the age of 10 years, only with his written consent.
The separation of brothers and sisters, as a rule, is not allowed, except when it suits their interests.
The total number of children in foster care, including relatives and adopted as a rule, should not exceed 4 people.
The order of formation of the foster family
Persons wishing to take the children to a foster family served in the guardianship and curatorship at the place of residence documents required:
– the statement
– passport or other document proving the identity candidates for adoptive parents,
certificate of marriage – if the candidate for adoptive parents has been married
– medical certificate about the health of prospective adoptive parents and family members of the candidate for adoptive parents,
– the written consent of the adult family members of the candidate foster parents living together with him, to transfer the child (Ren) in the family,
– income information for the prior transfer of the child (Ren) in foster care a year.
The body of guardianship and guardianship is conducting a survey of the living conditions of prospective adoptive parents, learn the identity of the persons way of life and traditions of the family. Assesses the readiness of all members of the family to meet the basic nutritional needs of children and implementation of plans for protection of their rights and legitimate interests. This is reflected in the certificate of inspection of living conditions of the prospective parents. On the basis of this act and the submission of all documents the Agency of guardianship and curatorship shall Express an opinion regarding the ability of applicants to become foster parents.
The body of guardianship and guardianship provides foster parents with information about children who may be delegated to a foster family and get a referral to visit these children in their place of residence, which is set to contract. When selecting a child from child care and medical institutions, the administration of these institutions is obliged to inform the person intending to take the child in foster care with a personal matter of the child and the medical report on his condition. The transfer of new children in foster care is only possible if the process of adaptation of previously adopted foster children has been successful, as evidenced by the conclusion of body of guardianship and guardianship. In the first place transmitted to children in the foster care, having a permanent source of income. The child passed to his foster family, the guardian or conservator exposes the following documents:
1) birth certificate
2) medical certificate about state of health
3) the document confirming the legal basis for the transfer of the child to a foster family (a death certificate his parents, a copy of the court decision on deprivation of parental rights, recognition of parents incapable, missing or dead, the act of the police Department about the discovery of an abandoned child)
Rights and responsibilities of adoptive parents:
In the contract on transfer of a child to a foster family. has the following main responsibilities of foster parents:
1) to educate a foster child on the basis of mutual respect, to share leisure time, mutual aid
2) create the necessary conditions for the receipt of the child’s education, worries about his health, physical, mental, spiritual and moral development
3) to protect the rights and interests of the child
4) to provide child care and treatment, systematically show health specialists in accordance with medical recommendations and health
5) ensure that a visit to a foster child educational institutions, monitor its progress, liaise with teachers and educators
6) to notify the Agency of guardianship and guardianship about appearing in a foster home adverse conditions for the maintenance, upbringing and education of the child
It should be remembered that the adoptive parents have no right to prevent the adoption of foster children others. A child raised in a foster family, has the right to communicate with parents, other relatives, except in cases where such contacts are not beneficial. The order of communication between relatives of the child is determined by the body of guardianship and guardianship.
The guardianship and guardianship, their authorized bodies and organizations carry out monitoring of conditions of the maintenance, upbringing and education of children in foster care:
· in the first three months of education each child at least once a week;
· after the first three months of education and up to one year – at least once a month;
· in the second and subsequent child-rearing years – at least once a quarter.
In some cases, the foster parent can leave my job?
The contract may be terminated ahead of schedule on the initiative of the foster parents if there are valid reasons:
1) the disease
2) change in family or property situation
3) lack of understanding of the child
4) conflict relations between children
On the initiative of the Department of custody and guardianship in the following cases:
1) the occurrence of unfavorable conditions for the child (Ren),
2) return the child (Ren) parents
In the case of foster care, adoptive parent of several children may be entered into one contract. If children are sent as a foster family at different times is a separate contract for each newly admitted child. The contract may be concluded for a period of 1 month until the child reaches 18 years of age.
The terms of remuneration of foster parents and facilities provided by the foster family, depending on the amount taken on the upbringing of children, established by the legislation of the Republic of Belarus. Leave for foster parents is provided according to schedule vacations, compiled by the education Department of the local Executive administrative body. For the period of the leave, the Agency of guardianship and curatorship organizes summer activities for foster children. Time job as foster parents is reflected in obstrutiva experience.